Thursday, July 14, 2016

Terrified of Failing



I’m terrified of failing.  I’m tempted to shut down my dreams because of the “what if I fail” fear.  The truth is, if I dare to start a business, have another baby, mother a certain way, not do what someone wants me to do, admit I have a dream, open my heart up again, I could fail.  It could be ugly and messy and soul crushing.

I’m slowly learning that it’s not about failing.  It’s about what happens if I do try.  Failure isn’t the end, it’s the means by which profound heart work happens.  Love – meeting me in my brokenness, embarrassment, shame, guilt – that is what makes me deep, resilient, and gives me more compassion for others. 


Love is the cushion that catches me if I crash.   Failure then becomes a badge of honor – “I tried.  I failed.  I was loved.”  That’s EVERYTHING!  Failure is the fire that makes our heart gold.  So I’ve decided to walk out on the water and trust that there is a much bigger picture.  Life isn’t about success or failure – it’s always about love.  So go try, chase after the dream you have in your heart…and success or failure, if it’s done in love – you’re already won.


No comments: