Wednesday, December 21, 2016

Fifteen Years

How does one even come to terms that it's been that long since you heard the best news you've ever been given?  

I remember the exam room they sat us in. I remember that everything felt so sterile, and how nervous all three of us were waiting for Tom's doctor to open the door. Tom and his mom made chit chat trying to pass the time. After what felt like forever the doctor finally walked in. He didn't smile right away so I assumed the worst; the chemo didn't work. He sat down and said "The good news is that your cancer is completely gone.  The bad news is there's only a 1 in 5 chance that you'll be able to have kids someday."  All of the wind was forced out of me - Tom was cancer free!  We were all so relieved that I don't think the possibility of not having children some far off time in distance didn't even phase us. 

The three of us went out to eat at MCL to celebrate, and then called the rest of our families to tell them the good news. I was on cloud nine. I wasn't going to lose my fiancé before he would become my husband. 

I'm forever thankful to the doctors and nurses at IU Hospital that took such good care of my man, and kept him positive during some of the hardest days of his life. But, most importantly I'm thankful for a man that didn't give up when things got tough. I'm thankful he's still here and still by my side, fifteen years later. I wouldn't want to do life with anyone else. I'm also glad they were wrong about the possibility of not having children because we do make pretty cute kids. 

I love you babe - happy 15 years cancer free!  


No comments: